This Occupational First Aid refresher course will provide the learner with the knowledge, practical skills to give effective life support, diagnose & treat injuries or illness, and maintain care and comfort of the casualty and an understanding required to provide and co-ordinate first aid in the workplace in compliance with the requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007: Part 7 – Chapter 2: First Aid and associated guide to these regulations.
An occupational first aider is a qualified person who is trained by a registered competent instructor in accordance with the standard set by the H.S.A. of Ireland and the P.H.E.C.C. The new 2008 standard consists of 8 units listed below and includes Cardiac First Responder training in automated external defibrillators (AEDs) as per PHECC standard and administering aspirin for heart attack patients. This programme is delivered as 1 day course by Certified Occupational First Aid Instructor from the HSA register. This course can also be delivered at weekends if work requirements demand.
Who should attend this Occupational First Aid Refresher?
Any qualified QQI Occupational First Aider that needs to be recertified within the 2 year period as per HSA guidelines.
Methods of Training
The course is highly interactive with each theory session being followed by demonstration, practical tasks (including AED DVD for unit 4) and assessment of individual skills.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Understand the responsibilities of the occupational first aider.
- Be familiar with health and safety legislation on first aid provision in the workplace.
- Be able to provide treatment for preserving life or minimising the consequences of injury until the arrival of medical aid.
- Be able to provide treatment in the workplace for injuries which do not require the attention of a medical practitioner or nurse.
- Be able to co-ordinate first aid arrangements in the workplace.
- Successful participants will be registered as Occupational First Aiders
- Demonstrate up-to-date practical skills
- Explain new developments in First Aid
- Unit 1: First aid in the workplace
- Unit 2: Patient assessment
- Unit 3: Respiratory emergencies
- Unit 4: Cardiac first response
- Unit 5: Wounds and bleeding
- Unit 6: Altered levels of consciousness
- Unit 7: Musculoskeletal injuries
- Unit 8: Burns and scalds, chemicals, electric shock
Pre-Course Requirements Participants must hold a current Occupational First Aid Certificate. Occupational First Aid Refresher training must be attended within 2 years of original certificate.
Assessment/Certification Assessment is continuous throughout the course and you receive a certificate of attendance on the day
- Basic Life Support (CPR) Skills 40%
- Examination (Short Answer Questions) 20%
- Skills Demonstration x 2 40%
- Pass 50-64%
- Merit 65-79%
- Distinction 80-100%
Maximum Number of Participants:
10 Per Session
All our Tutors are fully Certified QQI Tutors with lots of Experience
This course costs €100 per person or can be €500 per group of 10 onsite and your workplace
Public course dates: